New baseball stadium

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jelly. Show jelly's posts

New baseball stadium

What is this going to do to traffic? Anyone know how many parking spaces are included?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Re: New baseball stadium

There's a survey on the city's web site you can pose these questions there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Jelly & Laurie ---- First and foremost it will take up to 3 years for this stadium to be built. 
    Second-----the proposal has to get community approval, than their is the EPA Study-----than someone in city hall will have to
    have some one or department provide a traffic flow study and how the current police department will handle it, and who pays
    for that cost.
    Third-----when first read there is not a Major League Assoc. has come forward to sponsor a Minor League Team for that Stadium.
    Finally---what happens after the baseball season end what does this stadium become or what type of venue will it be
    when the team travels during the summer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4354603. Show user_4354603's posts

Horrible idea.  This would almost be worse than putting apartment buildings there.

Why not build a WholeFoods, or some higher-end restaurants there?  My commute through Malden is already horrific enough, do I really need to deal with traffic for a two-bit baseball team as well?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ward5. Show ward5's posts

Whole foods is not coming, and neither is any high end anything, have you looked around lately? Maybe things will change with the new Administration in place.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

What a waste of valuable space! Remember Telecom City? How much money did anyone spend over the holidays in Malden? Everett and Saugus were the big winners for my money. The only shopping I did was at Walgreens for odds and ends and Stop & Shop for food. We need to stop going out of the city to spend our money.

No year round jobs will be created by this vanity project. Look at a Brockton Rox schedule. How often do they play? Concerts? Go check Live Nation or Ticketmaster and see how many venues fight for the talent out there. This venue would compete with the Pavilion in S. Boston and they are lucky to fill a decent schedule. Without a dome this venue would be unused the whole winter. If they want to site this on Rivers Edge, that would be one thing but this is simply a waste of space. Think: the current city hall. 

No matter what is done to move city hall, Pleasant St. is dead as long as the businesses that are there stay there. If you open Pleasant St., why would the current ones leave if the flow opens up more traffic for them? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustinApinyen. Show JustinApinyen's posts

I think the offices for city hall should be built in to the new stadium, that way, when people are waiting in line for their handouts, their kids can run the bases.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Its a good idea. stoes will build around it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawthorne3. Show hawthorne3's posts

yeah, like this worked out well for Brockton and Lynn right?  those towns are dumps, so i guess we will be just like them now, if we weren't already...not a good idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

I don't spend much money in Malden, Stop & Shop's prices are out of control. Downtown...need I say more...and yes I did shop at one store in Malden, Walmart for a quick item I missed at Market Basket.  Saugus and Medford were my biggest holiday  spending towns.  I've said it a hundred times we need anchor stores that will bring consumers to us, with 2 T stations we can't utilize them for consumers to spend in our town? I know this has gone full gammet over the last 20 years but please Davis Sq in Somerville turned around in less than 5 years, whart are we doing wrong??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

Admittedly, I did shop at Square One Mall for Christmas gifts this year but I did also spent money in Malden Square. Shopping local is a choice one makes an effort to do when deciding how to spend their money, kind of like buying American.

I bought stocking stuffers at Walgreens on Center, Christmas eve outfit at Tailored Impressions off of Pleasant, winter staples (socks, gloves, jammies for the kids) at Sparks and I received a gift certificate to District 7 from a co-worker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

Ward 5: I would LOVE to see a Whole Foods in Malden!!! I don't think anything like that can ever go in the Super Fitness spot because Stop & Shop made a deal when they moved in about other food stores  within a certain radius of them. If there was another spot somewhere around the city for Whole Foods, I would love it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

GetActive:

Whole Foods caters to a certain segment of the population that is well-off and affluent, and sadly, Malden, with its growing population of section 8 recipients and low-income folks, does not represent that.

So keep on dreaming about Whole Foods coming to this city... But it ain't happening anytime soon, if ever!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantbreath. Show cantbreath's posts

Yes, the jobs will be temporary for the most part. The problem with this is that when it fails the next thing they will do is high density housing just like telecom city/ Rivers edge.
    Davis sq kept its old housing stock and neighborhoods. Malden went for high rises and high density. Davis sq has the educated and working, malden has section 8, low income and not working.
    Businesses do demographic studies. Mayor Howard and the city councill took care that Malden will never see the kind of businesses you are talking about. They went for the developers dollars every time and they had to know what they were doing.
    It is a shame. Malden will only become more like Chelsea. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Hi all,

Back on the topic of the new baseball stadium proposal, did anyone here attend that public presentation and Q&A meeting with the developers last night? I am curious to know if any question regarding mitigating traffic and parking concerns was asked to the developers?

That is one important area that I feel needs to be addressed with that proposal, as far as Malden residents are concerned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I for one think its a great idea. Sure beats another dollar store bodega. I think once you build this, other quality restaurants and shopping will be attracted to the area,   so long dockside!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Hi other
    I was at the stadium proposal. The parking and traffic questions were brought up by the panel. The owner bok gave the floor to his traffic engineer. I don't recall the firm, but they did the work at gillette stadium. The presentation was great, but too long. The MRA did a great job. It looks like a win win for Malden.
    The stadium will be located on the west side of S&S with the entrance facing the orange line. The garages will get plenty of use. There will be a year round resteraunt. There will be jobs for resiidents year round. Construction will last approx. 14 months. A family friendly venture.
    Hawth, they did bring up Lynn's and Brockton's parks. Malden Park will be 100 times better. (50,000)
    Driver, I hate it when you are wrong, but construction will start in February 2013. The park will open April 2014.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

Sorry, the cost will be 50 million, not $50,000. Bok said it would not cost us tax payers anything. Steve Wishoski, MRA, pressed bok for answers on funding, rent, taxes, traffic, ticket pricing, jobs.
    It will come on cable, worth watching.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

I'd much rather see a Trader Joe's than Whole Paycheck...er...Whole Foods come to Malden.

But I fail to see how a baseball stadium is going to be any kind of economic boon to this city. I mean, let's face it...there's nothing for game attendees to do in the city afterwards!

And I didn't buy one single thing for Christmas in Malden. Not even at Stop n Rob or Wal-Greens - although when I did recently visit Wal-Green's to pick up some blue bags, I was approached by a young lady whose face was clearly beginning to show the ravages of Crystal Meth abuse (awesome teeth too!) while I was buckling my toddler into her carseat. Said young lady asked me for a dollar so she could "Pick up her scrip" - while one of her male companions was screaming obscenities at a car that had just gone by on 60 and the other genius was off a ways loudly shouting at someone on his cell phone.

THAT was an interesting conversation with my daughter on the way home.

"Mummy, are you OK? Why was that lady asking you for a money? She smelled funny."

"Why is that guy yelling at people? Wow! You goin' fast!"

I couldn't bloody well say, "Yeah. She reeked of chemicals from her meth habit and that's why she was asking me for money!" and "Because he's completely out of his tree high!" and "You better believe I just laid a patch of tire getting out of this h311 hole! Those people made the hair on my neck stand up and I don't have a gun. So we're OUT."

Oh, Malden.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

I think the baseball stadium will attract more businesses / better retail and restaurants. I already have tix for Bruins and Sox games, and certainly would attend the home teams games and spend money at the home establishements that would be attracted to this.  Maybe more good restautrants will force out the likes of the dockside and pizza takouts in the square.  maybe even force Applebees to up their game to stay in business.

I live only a few blocks from the square and only see an upside to this. Its about time the city considered something besides dollar stores.

At least its not another high rise full of people that dont go out.

Yeh, I did no shopping in Malden for christmas, niot even food at stop and rob.  Shoped at Costco and the Demoulas in chelsea.  See, I would rather shop in chelsea than go to stop and rob.  To bad they dont have the malden blue bags there.  Produce is way better and prices way lower.  It is a zoo there on weekends, but worth it.

with yah on whole foods, would rather see a trader joes. but we know that aint happening as long as stop and rob is there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

hellgirl,

You make a good point.

I think the new administration should focus on cleaning up the city and getting rid of criminal elements (i.e. put more police on the streets, close down all the drug rehab centers, stop constructing more apartment buildings, enforce ordinances in residential occupancy of multi-family properties, enforce a curfew for juveniles, implement a gang taskforce to combat gangs infiltrating the city, etc.), and at the same time, try to attract more businesses to fill the empty storefronts in the city center.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

You don't think the new park with storefronts and restaurants will do that. You say attract new business, I think this accomplishes that. A lot better idea than the same old thinking. It will bring in new tax revenue hopefully that can be used to address issues like upgrading the square and more police

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenaction. Show maldenaction's posts

My oh my, what has happened to my Malden??????Cry

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

To All;  Sorry I was away but my Illness had me at Mass General
    Hospital for care of of my heart ailment. (5 days)  First the Stadium right now is a mistake and has false promises to it.
    I still do not know why the city administration has not come forward with the Investigation on the missing money.
    Someone is hiding the truth because the amount has never been mention and from where is it missing from. (account)
    Or who was in charge of that account!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JIRKYRICK. Show JIRKYRICK's posts

Missing money? This discussion is about a ballpark... Oh look a shiney penny.... I like the idea. Everyone is complaining about the lack of vision to revitalize the downtown, and when they come up with something other than usuall mall or more dollar stores they are against it. It's not just a ballpark the way I see it. It will have space for restaurants and maybe some more upscale shops. The only downside I see is if the city lets the owners put in more dollar stores, nail salons, pizza takeout or a dockside in it.