Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

Law to skip O'Malley's installation

By Eddy Ramirez, Globe Correspondent, 7/21/2003

Cardinal Bernard F. Law has declined an invitation to attend the July 30 installation Mass for Archbishop-designate Sean Patrick O'Malley, the Archdiocese of Boston said yesterday.

''Cardinal Law did not want to be the focus of attention on a day when the focus should be on the installation of the archbishop,'' the Rev. Christopher Coyne, an archdiocesan spokesman, said in a telephone interview yesterday. ''He was looking forward to being there but he is aware that some would be distracted by his presence.''

Law could not be reached for comment yesterday at the Maryland convent where he moved to shortly after resigning as archbishop last December.

Coyne said he received Law's response late Saturday. Some 2,500 people have been invited to the two-hour ceremony for O'Malley, including some of the victims of the sexual abuse scandal that led to Law's resignation.

Others invited include the archdiocese's 600 priests, 300 priests from the Fall River diocese where O'Malley served as bishop from 1992 until last year, and more than 800 lay people from the archdiocese's 426 parishes. Church officials have said O'Malley's installation is scheduled to be a half-hour shorter than Law's, and will be more modest.

This story ran on page A6 of the Boston Globe on 7/21/2003.
© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy