Fitchburg auto body shop explosion was caused by natural gas leak
An explosion at a Fitchburg auto body shop late Tuesday afternoon was caused by a gas leak, the state fire marshal’s office said Wednesday. The explosion at the Victory Auto Supply-Speed Shop at 214 Lunenburg St. at around 5:21 p.m. caused serious damage to nearby buildings and displaced about a dozen people, the Fitchburg Fire Department said. No one was injured. After the blast, four buildings, including the autobody shop, were boarded up and flagged as unsafe, displacing about 10 to 12 people, said Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Curran.