Early morning Lowell fire leaves 11 adults, two children homeless
An early-morning fire in Lowell left 11 adults and two children homeless, according to the Red Cross.
The one-alarm blaze, at 342 Pawtucket St., started about 5 a.m. Saturday and caused about $30,000 of damage, Deputy Fire Chief Robert Flynn said in a brief phone interview. An initial investigation shows the fire started on the second floor and may have been caused by an electrical problem, Flynn said.
Two women and two men were taken to Lowell General Hospital, one for smoke inhalation and the others for “pre-existing medical conditions,” Flynn said. Flynn did not know their conditions.
The Red Cross is providing temporary shelter for the five displaced families at a hotel, according to a statement the organization released Saturday morning. Residents were able to retrieve some clothing from the building, the statement said.
Residents may not return to the three-story building until various inspections, and perhaps renovations, are complete, Flynn said. “I think they’ll be out of there for a while,” he said.
The blaze damaged much of the left side of the building and there is water damage on the second floor, but surrounding buildings were not harmed, Flynn said.
The fire department’s investigation is ongoing.Chris Stuck-Girard can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On the beat
Columnist Adrian Walker says UMass Dartmouth is shaken after revelations that one of the Marathon bomb suspects was a student there. Read more