Woman faces charges of stealing $480,000 from Marathon bombing victim fund
A 26-year-old New York woman has been arrested for allegedly fraudulently collecting nearly half a million dollars from One Fund Boston, the fund set up for Boston Marathon bombing victims, authorities said today.
Audrea Gause claimed she had suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result of the terror attack on April 15. But investigators allegedly found she was not a victim and had provided false documentation that she had been admitted to a Boston hospital, the attorney general’s office said.
Gause was arrested this afternoon by Massachusetts State Police and the Troy, N.Y., police on a fugitive warrant near her home in Troy, the office said. Gause faces a charge of larceny over $250.
Attorney General Martha Coakley said Gause was accused of defrauding the fund of $480,000.
“I think the outrageous thing is that for all of [the One Fund’s] due diligence and their care in trying to get dollars out to the people who needed them, we still have individuals with fraudulent intent who are attempting to take that money away,” she said at an afternoon news conference.
It was the second arrest made in connection with alleged fraud aimed at the One Fund. Earlier this month, Branden Mattier, 22, was charged with attempting to bilk the fund of more than $2 million.
Coakley’s office said at the request of the fund, it was actively reviewing all the claims submitted to, and paid by, the fund.
Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured in the bombings.
Users unable to see the video, click here.