PUTNAM, Conn. (AP) — The office of Connecticut’s chief medical examiner says two girls found dead after a house fire in Putnam died of smoke inhalation.
The 3-year-old and 6-month-old sisters were killed in a fire Tuesday that also injured four adults including their pregnant mother.
The cause of death was released Wednesday following autopsies by the medical examiner’s office.
Fire Marshal Norm Perron told The Bulletin of Norwich that fire was caused by accident but it will be difficult to determine the origin because the damage is so widespread.
WVIT-TV reports the girls were identified as Alexis Auger and her younger sister, Ava Auger.
Officials believe there were five apartments in the Victorian-style house, which was built in 1867 and had nearly 4,500 square feet of living space.