South: Players of the Week, top boys’ and girls’ basketball team
This story is from BostonGlobe.com, the only place for complete digital access to the Globe.
Caitlyn Abela , Oliver Ames: The Tigers continued to roll thanks to the 6-foot forward, who averaged 24.5 points per game in league wins over Stoughton and King Philip, punctuated by a 33-point, 10-rebound, six-steal performance against KP.
Aaron Anderson , North Quincy: In back-to-back wins over Quincy and Arlington Catholic, the senior guard netted 18 points. Against the rival Presidents, in a narrow 79-74 victory, all 18 came from beyond the arc.
Joe Buckley , Abington: The senior forward averaged 18.5 points and 10 rebounds in South Shore League victories over Cohasset and East Bridgewater.
Tyler Gibson , Rockland: The Bulldogs’ lone game, a 71-35 win over Hull, was a big one for the 6-foot-6 captain, who had team-highs in points (23) and rebounds (19).
Kate Norton , Duxbury: In a week in which the Dragons allowed just 29 total points in two wins, their senior captain was the headliner, falling 2 points shy of a quadruple-double against Hingham: eight points, 12 rebounds, 10 steals, and 11 assists.
Healey’s Top 10 boys’ teams
(Records through Tuesday, with next game listed)
1. Mansfield (11-1); vs. Brockton, Sun., 4:30
2. Brockton (8-2); at Mansfield, Sun., 4:30
3. Rockland (11-1); at Abington, Tues., 7
4. Wareham (11-1); vs. Case, Wed., 6:30
5. Whitman-Hanson (12-1); at Hingham, Tues., 6:30
6. Cohasset (11-2); at Hull, Tues., 6:30
7. North Quincy (10-3); vs. Pembroke, Tues., 6:30
8. Cardinal Spellman (9-3); vs. St. Mary’s (Lynn), Mon., 6:30
9. Norton (9-3); at Hopkinton, Tues., 6:30
10. Scituate (8-3); vs. Hanover, Tues., 6:30
Healey’s Top 10 girls’ teams
1. Oliver Ames (11-0); vs. Canton, Tues., 6:30
2. Braintree (11-2); at Natick, Tues., 6:30
3. Archbishop Williams (9-4); vs. Mati gnon, Tues., 6:30
4. Fontbonne (10-1); vs. Brookline, Sun., 6
5. Abington (12-1); vs. Rockland, Tues., 6:30
6. Duxbury (9-1); vs. Quincy, Tues., 6:30
7. Hanover (9-2); vs. Scituate, Tues., 6:30
8. Plymouth South (9-3); at Nauset, Tues., 6:30
9. Foxboro (8-3); vs. Sharon, Tues., 6:30
10. Scituate (7-2); at Hanover, Tues., 6:30
Game of the Week
Brockton boys at Mansfield, Sunday, 4:30
This contest between the Hockomock (Kelley-Rex)-leading Hornets and the Big Three-leading Boxers will likely determine the top team in next week’s poll. Through Wednesday they have winning streaks of six and seven games, respectively. Mansfield sophomore Brendan Hill and Brockton senior Jaylen Blakely will lead their teams’ high-powered offenses, with the Hornets averaging 69.8 points and the Boxers 64.9.
Tim Healey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter@timbhealy.