Sports

Red Sox place Andrew Bailey on the disabled list

This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to BostonGlobe.com

It’s gone from “closer controversy” to “who will be the closer now that Andrew Bailey and Joel Hanrahan are both injured?”

Red Sox manager John Farrell had his door closed after his media availability. But he said, “We’ll have to try to figure that out right now.”

Just hours after Bailey was placed on the 15-day disabled list, Hanrahan left Monday night’s game against Minnesota in the ninth inning after allowing a tying homer to Brian Dozier. Hanrahan has right forearm tightness and will have an MRI Tuesday.

Hanrahan was on the disabled list last month with a hamstring injury and Bailey became the closer. After Hanrahan returned, Farrell said Bailey would remain in the role, but then Bailey developed inflammation in his right biceps, and Hanrahan resumed closer duties.

Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.

Get the full story with unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com.

Just 99 cents for four weeks.

Share