Report: Mariners interested in Napoli
Ken Rosenthal, from FoxSports.com, reports his sources indicate the Mariners have interest in Red Sox free agent Mike Napoli. “The Mariners had interest in Napoli last offseason, but wanted him partly as a backup catcher,” Rosenthal wrote. “Sources say the team backed off due to the condition of Napoli’s hips.” Last offseason, Napoli had a three-year deal with the Red Sox before concerns about his hip reduced the agreement to one year. Napoli went on to have a career year in at bats (498), runs (79), hits (129), doubles (38), and RBI (92)—as well as playing a solid first base. Rosenthal says that if the Mariners offer Napoli three years or more, the Red Sox might bow out.
The Globe’s Peter Abraham previously reported the Red Sox have had more extensive contract talks with Napoli and his agent Brian Grieper, with Abraham reporting that GM Ben Cherington said that “We absolutely have an interest in having [Napoli] back.”
On Nov. 7, the Herald’s Scott Lauber wrote that the Red Sox need to re-sign Mike Napoli, citing that he has proven that he truly wants to stay in Boston and the team will be better for keeping him around that trying to work in a replacement after Napoli has shown dedication to the team and the city.
According to Jeff Passan, a columnist for Yahoo! Sports, Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli has received a multi-year offer from the Red Sox, but has decided to shop around.
Boston.com’s Chad Finn predicted Napoli would ultimately sign a two-year $29 million deal with the Red Sox this offseason. “Right player, right time, right city, right team,” Finn wrote.