Matthew J. Lee/Globe Staff
Tips from readers
- Avoid overpaying for parking by trying your luck with free parking past the House of Seven Gables. Or a nearby hotel.
- Take public transportation, like the Salem Ferry. Parking is at a premium and the two routes into town clog up.
- Don’t be a jerk. People live there. Do your best to be polite and kind
- Take the train or use the shuttles at the mall.
- There is a commuter parking area near the visitor’s center and Peabody museum that is free, but it fills fast.
- Bring your own toilet paper.
Pictured: The Killer Clowns from New Haven during the Halloween festivities on the Essex Street Mall in Salem.